Vaginal Rejuvenation (Vaginoplasty) in Atlanta, GA
If you are experiencing difficulty, embarrassment or sexual dissatisfaction due to loss of vaginal tightness, flaccid vaginal walls or general signs of aging and internal laxity, Dr. Frederick T. Work, Jr., and his team of specialists at the Atlanta Center for Breast and Aesthetic Surgery, can provide a surgical solution in the form of vaginoplasty. An experienced and respected name in the field of cosmetic surgery, Dr. Work and his team proudly provide excellence in intimate corrective surgeries such as vaginal rejuvenation for women in and around the Atlanta, Buckhead, Vinings and Sandy Springs areas in Georgia.
What is Vaginoplasty?
Vaginoplasty is a reconstruction and rejuvenation of the vaginal walls. Some women experience excessive laxity of vaginal wall muscles and seek this surgery after excessive stretching of vaginal muscles during childbirth and sometimes after sexual trauma. The aging process may also naturally produce weakened and loose vaginal wall muscles. For many women, this can cause sexual dissatisfaction or embarrassment. Although Kegel exercises help strengthen vaginal muscles in some women, others who have lost laxity due to excessive stretching during childbirth or sexual trauma may require surgery to produce the desired results.
Vaginoplasty, also known as vaginal rejuvenation, tightens the inner muscles of the vagina, reduces the size of the entrance to the vagina and tightens areas of the vagina that have no muscles. Many women report enhanced sexual gratification for both partners after vaginal reconstruction surgery.
Reasons to Consider Vaginoplasty
The decision to undergo vaginoplasty is a highly private and personal one and Dr. Work and his team are sensitive and compassionate with our patients. Some of the reasons women seek vaginoplasty include:
- Tightening of the vagina after childbirth. After having a child, some women experience laxity of the vaginal wall muscles and decreased sexual sensitivity as a result of that.
- Tightening a wide vaginal canal. As women age, the vaginal muscles may naturally weaken and become flaccid. This may decrease sexual pleasure in both partners.
- Improving sexual self-esteem. Some women are embarrassed by the laxity of their vaginal wall muscles and wish to not only improve their own sexual satisfaction but also their confidence in their ability to satisfy their sexual partner.
- Recovering from sexual trauma. In some extreme cases, women who were sexually abused as children by adult men may experience extreme vaginal laxity and suffer from an excessively wide vaginal canal, making sexual satisfaction virtually impossible for both partners. Vaginoplasty can provide a life-altering solution for these women.
Women who choose to undergo vaginoplasty may also exhibit other symptoms, such as:
- Decreased sensitivity and sensation during intercourse.
- An excessively large vaginal opening that is visually embarrassing.
- Difficulty contracting vaginal muscles and problems such as tampons slipping out.
- In some cases, women cannot retain their partner’s penis inside the vagina during intercourse.
- Some women experience tissue protruding from the vagina.
Other conditions that produce changes that may lead women to require vaginoplasty include:
- The natural aging process producing laxity in women with a genetic disposition to vaginal laxity.
- Dramatic weight fluctuations leading to excessive laxity in muscle tissue.
- A chronic cough or straining with constipation, causing excessive strain on the pelvic floor muscles.
- Heavy lifting, causing strain or injury to internal muscles.
Whatever your reasons for choosing vaginoplasty, you can trust Dr. Work and his skilled and compassionate team to provide a nurturing experience as you undergo your procedure. Dr. Work and his team are skilled and specialized in delicate genital corrective surgery and perform these procedures regularly.
Am I a Candidate for Vaginoplasty?
Women considering vaginoplasty should be in good health and not pregnant. After childbirth, we recommend waiting about one year before considering vaginoplasty, as your muscles may naturally tighten over that period, and your body requires that length of time to fully recover from childbirth.
The Vaginal Rejuvenation Procedure
During the procedure, Dr. Work will tighten your vaginal muscles, allowing for more strength, flexibility, and control. The procedure reduces the diameter of the vagina while tightening the vaginal walls and strengthening the perineum. Any excess vaginal lining will be removed. The procedure normally takes about one to two hours and all vaginoplasty scars are hidden internally.
Vaginal Rejuvenation Recovery
Most patients are free to return home shortly after the procedure, but Dr. Work will recommend that you be gentle with yourself and allow for proper resting and relaxation. You will have a follow-up appointment with Dr. Work on the day immediately following your surgery and at regularly scheduled intervals in the following weeks. This careful monitoring ensures that you obtain the best possible results and heal correctly and thoroughly.
Immediately following surgery, many patients experience discomfort, swelling and pain. Dr. Work will insert a vaginal pack, including a white gauze outside of the opening of the vagina that will be removed on the morning after the day of your surgery. The swelling and discomfort may last anywhere from two to four weeks. However, Dr. Work will prescribe all necessary medication to keep you comfortable during this process. To reduce swelling, we recommend the application of ice packs for the first 48 hours.
Although you will be free to be up and around within a day after your procedure, Dr. Work recommends that you refrain from returning to work for up to a week following your surgery. Strenuous physical activities should be avoided for a period of three weeks and we recommend that you gradually return to light exercise, but avoid any high-impact activities, such as jogging or lifting heavy weights for up to six weeks. Full recovery from vaginoplasty requires a full four to six weeks of pampering and caring for yourself.
How Soon Can I Have Sex After Vaginoplasty?
Dr. Work recommends abstinence from sexual intercourse for six weeks following surgery in order to ensure optimal results, both aesthetically and functionally.
How Much Does Vaginoplasty Cost in Atlanta?
As with most cosmetic procedures, vaginoplasty is not a covered expense by most health insurance providers. The Atlanta Center for Breast and Aesthetic Surgery makes the procedure affordable to all our patients by offering easy financing options through CareCredit® and Prosper® Healthcare Lending. Our office also accepts cash, personal checks, and credit cards.
If you suffer from diminished sexual enjoyment due to laxity of your vaginal muscles, consider enhancing your sensitivity and comfort via vaginoplasty. Trust Frederick T. Work, Jr. and his team of experts at the Atlanta Center for Breast and Aesthetic Surgery, a premier cosmetic surgery center specializing in plastic surgery and other cosmetic procedures for residents of the Atlanta, Buckhead, Vinings, and Sandy Springs areas in Georgia. Our team is skilled and experienced with such delicate genital corrective surgeries as vaginoplasty or vaginal rejuvenation.