Chemical Peels in Atlanta, GA
Do you want to reduce the appearance of acne scars, uneven pigmentation, wrinkles or other facial blemishes? At the Atlanta Center for Breast and Aesthetic Surgery, we offer chemical peels so that residents in and around Buckhead, Vinings, and Sandy Springs can obtain clearer skin.
Chemical peels provide exfoliation without the side effects of harsh physical exfoliants. Physical exfoliation, such as from scrubs or brushes, can result in broken capillaries, uneven skin tone, and inconsistent results. Chemical peels use specialized ingredients to remove dead skin and promote new cellular growth. The overall result is healthier and smoother skin.
Benefits of a Chemical Peel
Chemical peels benefit our clients who want to rejuvenate the appearance of his or her skin, with little side effects. The chemical peel affords clients the following:
- Improved appearance of the skin.
- Diminished skin discoloration.
- Reduced fine lines and wrinkles.
- Reduced appearance of scars.
How Is a Chemical Peel Performed?
During this safe and effective procedure, a peeling solution is applied to the face for a certain amount of time and then a neutralizing solution is applied to stop the chemical peel process. Depending on the extent of the treatment, chemical peels are classified into three categories: light, medium and deep.
- Light peels: This is lowest grade chemical peel we offer at our office. The results are superficial in that only the outermost layer of the skin is removed. The advantage of this procedure is visible results, without any downtime. Our clients can resume their day following this procedure with no pain or discomfort. Some of our clients choose to undergo multiple light peels versus one of our more powerful alternatives, for maximum convenience and comfort.
- Medium peels: This level of chemical peel is most effective for clients with visible problems on the surface of the skin. A medium peel can help to diminish acne scars, deeper wrinkles, and uneven skin tone. Following the peel, a saline compress is placed on the skin to reduce the discomfort of chemical exfoliation. Because this chemical peel penetrates the outer and middle layers of the skin, some discoloration may be visible for a couple of weeks following treatment. In a few weeks, the skin will have enhanced texture and tone.
- Deep peels: The deep level chemical peel penetrates the outer, middle and lower dermal layers of the skin. This level is most recommended to clients who have sun damage, scarring, overall blotchiness and precancerous growths. Because this procedure is more aggressive, we recommend some local anesthetic and sedation for complete comfort. Following the procedure, we provide the ointment necessary for ultimate skin healing and growth. Despite some discoloration and discomfort, patients return home following the procedure and results are visible within a month.
Preparing for a Chemical Peel
We do often recommend some preparation for a chemical peel. We may recommend pre-treating the skin with Retin-A, alpha-hydroxy acid, or a bleaching agent for a few weeks prior to the appointment itself. This skincare routine can help to prepare the skin and minimize side effects following the peel. For patients with frequent cold sores or fever blisters, we provide an anti-viral medication to take in the weeks before and after the chemical peel. Chemical peels can increase skin sensitivity, so it’s important to avoid sun exposure before and after the treatment. On the day of your chemical peel, please arrive with a clean face, free of skincare and cosmetics.
Recovery from a Chemical Peel
Recovery from a chemical peel varies greatly among the levels of the procedure. For a light peel, there is virtually no recovery time and our clients happily resume their typical schedule following the appointment. The only side effects may be some dryness or minor redness in the treated area. Medium chemical peels result in noticeable discoloration and some tightness in the area. Ointment and medication can manage discomfort and promote healing, but full results are visible in only a few weeks.
The recovery time for a deep chemical peel is more of a commitment. Because a deep peel can help reverse sun damage and improve skin texture, a significant amount of skin healing and regrowth is necessary following treatment. We recommend two weeks of wearing no makeup and resting the face, for maximum comfort and results. Within two weeks, swelling and discomfort should be gone, but redness can last up to one month. Despite more significant recovery time, the results of deep chemical peels can benefit clients for up to 10 years.
How Much Do Chemical Peels Cost in Atlanta?
The cost of chemical peels varies depending on the level of the peel and extent of the treatment. For a specific cost estimate based on your skin, schedule a consultation with our office. During the consultation, our team member will discuss the most beneficial treatment option, the price of the treatment and necessary before and aftercare. We accept cash, checks, and most major credit cards, along with financing through CareCredit® and Prosper® Healthcare Lending. Because chemical peels are considered cosmetic procedures, health insurance plans rarely cover any of the costs of these treatments.
Is A Chemical Peel Right for Me?
Chemical peels are most beneficial for individuals with surface skin conditions, such as scarring, uneven texture, fine lines and pigmentation. While chemical peels were designed for the face, we have found them effective solutions for individuals with sun spots or scarring on the chest, hands and back, as well. Please consult our office if you are currently taking skin-enhancing medications, such as Accutane or Retin-A, before scheduling a peel.
If you live in and around Buckhead, Vinings, and Sandy Springs, you could achieve clearer, smoother skin with a chemical peel. Contact the Atlanta Center for Breast and Aesthetic Surgery for a consultation.